Weld Purging of pipes for the oil and gas industry
PUBLISHED: 27 Apr 17
HFT®'s innovative QuickPurge® Systems dramatically reduce the space that needs to be purged, thereby reducing purging time dramatically, making huge savings in both time and gas costs
Weld Purging tubes and pipes for the Oil and Gas Industry is crucial when joining metals such as stainless, duplex and chrome steels, as well as nickel alloys, titanium and zirconium. However, when welding larger pipe diameters it is not cost effective to completely fill tubes and pipes with expensive inert gas.
Weld Purging Experts Huntingdon Fusion Techniques HFT®'s innovative QuickPurge® Systems dramatically reduces the space that needs to be purged, thereby reducing purging time dramatically, making huge savings in both time and gas costs.
Ron Sewell, Chairman for HFT® said: "Using QuickPurge® means there is no longer a need to fill complete pipes with an inert gas. The Systems are so efficient they pay for themselves in the first couple of welds in gas savings alone, whatever the pipe size. QuickPurge® is simply inserted into a tube or pipe, inflated within the pipe, restricting the area that is to be welded, removing the oxygen down to 100 ppm (parts per million) within minutes."
For example, a 36" diameter stainless steel pipe can be purged down to 100 parts per million (ppm) of oxygen in under 32 minutes. Comparing this with weld purging using foam dams or other homemade devices that will outgas heavily into the welding zone, which will take many hours.
Some features of QuickPurge® Systems include:
- An additional gas input line, allowing extra purge gas to be introduced for extra high speed purging down to the lowest oxygen levels, which is perfect for larger diameter pipes where quality welds are required. This extra cold argon gas input is perfect for mitigating the extra heat produced by the Plasma / TIG process.
- The advanced design of the QuickPurge® System means that oxygen levels as low as 10 parts per million (ppm) can be reached every time, allowing zero colour welds to be achieved with no loss of corrosion resistance caused by oxidation.
- IntaCal® combined with the integrated PurgeGate® device makes it possible to safely inflate the systems with argon gas, for sealing and then purging the space between the dams where the weld joint is located. With PurgeGate®, any risk of over inflation is due to pressure or flow increase is eliminated.
- All systems are manufactured as standard with a hose for connecting a Weld Purge Monitor®, which can read oxygen levels down to as low as 1 ppm (accurate to 10 ppm).
- Materials used in the manufacture of QuickPurge® are such that they are resistant to the higher weld temperatures present and they don't outgas, thus preventing weld contamination.
For pre-heated chrome steel and high strength stainless steel pipe joints, HFT® manufactures the HotPurge® Systems for a higher and longer temperature exposure.
QuickPurge® Demonstration Video is available on YouTube at: https://youtu.be/Q4MJTssaxN0.
Safe, fast and low cost pipe freezing with Qwik-Freezer™
Glass fibre Backing Tape gives improved weld root profiles
Special high quality, leak tight welding hose for argon feed
Tight sealing Low Profile Pipestoppers for limited spaces and restricted access
Huntingdon Fusion Techniques HFT® to Exhibit at World Nuclear
Lightweight aluminium plugs for heavy-duty applications
Cut costs, not corners with QuickPurge®
Achieve high quality welds with a close eye on your weld purge
Versatile, lightweight nylon plugs for Weld Purging
Improve weld quality with a low cost Trailing Shield®
Versatile Inflatable Stoppers for pipe plugging and stopping
Improve weld quality with precision ground Tungsten Electrodes
HotPurge®, for weld purging heat-treated chrome and high strength stainless steel pipework
Inflatable Rubber Plugs: lightweight but strong and highly resistant to petrochemicals
Successful titanium welding with Flexible Welding Enclosures®